Why You Should Travel When You're Young.



"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page".

Travelling is something I think everyone should do, no matter how little or far you travel it will benefit you. Personally, I believe that travelling when you're young is the best thing you can do for yourself and your growth; every trip will teach you something and make you realise how much of the world you have left to explore. Travelling at any age will have a positive impact on your life, however, I am extremely passionate about travelling in the early stages of your life. As you grow into adulthood you will be shaped by your past experiences, travelling young gives you the opportunity to become a lot more open-minded; the more you travel, the more different kinds you meet and this will make you more understanding to others as you continue to grow.

I am extremely fortunate that I was able to travel a lot as a child and a teenager, I lived abroad for nearly 8 years and I think this is the best thing that has happened to me so far. I was able to grow up surrounded by different cultures and walks of life, this allowed me to grow up in such a diverse environment that has shaped me into who I am now. I currently live in Scotland, this is where I am from, but I value my time abroad greatly, travelling opened my eyes to the world and has left me with a burning desire to see every corner of the world. Living abroad isn't the focus of this post, I think the travelling I was able to do whilst living abroad was the greatest opportunity I have had so far in my life; living in Asia meant that I had so many countries on my doorstep. Obviously, this isn't something that everyone is able to experience, but since moving back to Scotland, I still believe that any travelling I do helps me grow as an individual.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction".

Travelling is the one thing in life that guarantees a positive after effect, you will grow from every travel experience, whether it is good or bad. I may sound like a broken record but this is why I am so enthusiastic about travelling as a student, you are still growing and any amount of travelling will help you grow into a well-rounded person. Even a bad travel experience will make you grow as a person,  sometimes more than a positive experience, you will never regret travelling because of the after effect, however, if you don't travel you will be full of regret later in life. This all may sound dramatic but I strongly believe in travelling as a student. Every time you travel you are investing in your future self, not only will you become stronger as an individual, you will be able to adapt to new situations with ease and be a lot more welcoming to people from different cultures.

I feel sorry for people who don't travel. This is not a comment in regards to someone being more well off than another; if you want to travel you can make it happen on a budget, I understand that it is well out of most student budgets but overall it will be more of a beneficial experience than a cheap student night out. If you think of the endless amount of places that you can travel to, it is a no-brainer when trying to save for a trip of a lifetime. On the other hand, it is very much possible to travel without an extravagant budget, for starters travelling with a bigger group cuts down a lot of costs; if you can get all of your friends involved, soon you all will be lounging on a beach somewhere instead of in the student union. 

"Travel as much as you can, as far as you can, as long as you can. Life's not meant to be lived in one place".


Comments

Popular Posts