Why New York?


New York is always a good idea.

If I could only visit one place in the world? New York. I've got a lot of love for a city that I've never been to before, I'm infatuated with what is just another spot on the map. A lot of people spend years dreaming of New York and think visiting the city once will change their whole life, the city where dreams are made, the city that never sleeps, the city... We all just want to be in the city. 

I can't remember when I first fell in love with the city, was it the movies that made it look so glamourous? Was I convinced from a young age that I could be the modern day Carrie Bradshaw? The endless representation of a city that shines that little bit brighter than the rest. I just know that I am still pinning for the city and would drop everything in a second to be there. I want to be in the chaotic streets and see the buzz of the city around me, I want to be a part of the city. 

I know that New York is just another expensive city where the streets are dirty, but it's more than that to me and a lot of others, if you make it to the city, you've made it. 

"There's something in the New York air that makes sleep useless".

Whether I go to New York for a day or a year, I've still made it there. There's only so many times I can be sitting in my car at a light or sitting in a class where I let my mind wander to the possibility of "what if", what if I woke up one day and thought "Fuck it, I'm going to New York". The city is so full of life, it's like that song you never get tired of listening to, I would listen to the sounds of New York for the rest of my life. 

Realistically, I know that I won't be moving to New York anytime soon, yet I would love to visit and see what the city has to offer me. New York is full of so many different kinds of people and cultures, it is bursting with life. New York isn't a city, it's a world, a world that I want to be part of. I can't count how many times I've watched a film set in New York and fallen in love with the city all over again, even if it doesn't quite live up to years of built up expectations, I know it will be worth it. 

Older members of my family talk about New York with such passion and excitement, the city is still captured in their memory even though for some, the trip was more than a decade ago. New York has the ability to make anyone fall in love on the spot and still talk about their love affair with the city for the rest of their lives. Desperately, I ache for my own love affair with New York, I want to have my own stories to tell about that summer in the city or how extra magical Christmas felt looking out to the stars from the Empire State Building.

"One belongs to New York instantly. One belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years." 



Comments

Popular Posts